Sunday, July 25, 2010

One cheerio

That's all it was...one simple cheerio that I found after sweeping underneath our couch.  It was a painful reminder that Reagan used to be able to, and really loved, to feed herself cheerios as a morning snack before breakfast every day.  We would pour her a little bowl of cheerios, she would take a few and feed herself while walking around, quickly coming back for more.  Nevermind that she never quite got the skill of using her pincher grasp (finger and thumb) to only take one and used her whole hand to rake about 10 in her mouth.  I would sometimes get frustrated over the million cheerios that she would leave in her wake, scattered all over the living room.  But seeing that lonely cheerio hiding under our couch today made me realize how much I miss those moments, seeing her do the simplest of task that she has since lost because of Rett Syndrome.

4 comments:

  1. oh wow. this hit home for sure. leah did the same thing with cheerios and goldfish. we just moved 2 weeks ago and i found a few underneath some furniture. made me happy and sad at the same time. i often miss the messes she used to make.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, i sure have a lump in my throat from this. cant wait to give you a big big hug next month!
    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely know the feeling. I get cheerios and snacks out now for Nolan (her 18 mo brother) and it is so sad when Abby tries to get them, but can't anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember cheerios, and finger feeding. We used to say that Annie was the messiest eater in the world (prior to diagnosis and regression), I'd spend forever cleaning up the kitchen and her high chair after every meal, I'd give anything for her to make a mess again! Big hugs!!

    ReplyDelete