Wednesday, March 16, 2011

One step forward, two steps back

Reagan has been feeling so well for the past couple of months, and we are finally seeing her energy bounce back after the bout with mono late last year.  She was starting to gain a little more weight and we were on the right track.  But, now she has the flu and it is the worst thing ever.  In the 6 days that she has been sick, she has not eaten anything more than a few bites of yogurt a day and I can visibly see how thin she has become in that short amount of time.

I never understood how unnerving it can be to have a child this ill.  We have been very fortunate to have all been very healthy, never getting anything more than a common cold or stomach virus that runs its course in 24 hours.  But, we have also never had a child in a daycare or school setting, subjected to so many germs.  It has been very scary to see her so out of it and sleeping about 22 hours a day, only waking when I go into her room to get her to take in some fluids.  And speaking of fluids, I am worried about dehydration and a possible trip to the hospital if I can't get her to drink enough.  Again, just worried and very concerned.

I am hoping she has a speedy recovery and that she can kick this virus in the next day and then start to eat again.  I am also hoping that Lauren can avoid getting the flu as well.  My Mom keeps reassuring me that children bounce back quickly and that they are resilient, and I sure do hope she is right!

This picture was taken last 6 days ago when she first started running a fever and feeling bad.  She is feeling so much worse now that I don't even want to torture her with a camera!

1 comment:

  1. oh NO! I was so hoping she wouldn't get the whole 6-day thing that Julia had -- it was miserable and you do feel so helpless as a Mommy unable to do much!

    I'll trust that she's doing better - she was looking better in your St. Patty's Day pics.

    ReplyDelete