Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Another skill lost

Reagan has lost the ability to go from a sitting or laying positing to standing.  She has always done this with ease and sometimes with a little jump from the floor but it seems overnight that she can no longer motor plan well enough to make her arms and legs work together to get up and it seems to have just changed overnight.  I know that losing skills is typical of the regression stage of Rett Syndrome, which is the second stage from around 18 months to 4 years where girls lose abilities that they once had.   However, it is always really disheartening.  On a positive note, she is walking well and the falls are minimal so it has not been a big problem unless she falls and lays down close to her baby sister, who will then insist on crawling on top of her play with her nose, mouth, or hair.  

8 comments:

  1. Oh hun, I'm sorry :-( I know that has to be soooo hard for you and just so disheartening. I'm thinking of y'all. (((( hugs ))))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so very sorry - I know from previous posts you were hoping the regression was mostly over. **hugs**

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww, I'm sorry. :( Regression sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry, Dawn. Abby did the same thing. I always thought that the lack of having to get up after falls contributed to her forgetting how to do it. It was probably just regression, though. Its crazy how quickly a skill can be lost. I will say, though, Abby has lost skills and then gained them back, so maybe that will be the case. Transitions are so tough to motor plan. Its no wonder they have so much trouble with them. Rett Syndrome sucks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll second Ann Marie, transitions are so tough!! And after regression is the plateau where some skills can come back. Keep making her work at it, the skill is not gone it's just pushed back, in time it can come back to the surface! I know it's little solace now. Sending huge hugs to you and beautiful Reagan!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Always sending tons of love and prayers your way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. aww crap. rett is so cruel that way. just when you think you are out of the woods..bam. we thought we were done and then Avery lost all but 2 words. but guess what? yesterday she was mommy mommy mommy and today daddy daddy daddy. hasnt said either of those since April and May. Reagan can do it again! I know it. big hugs.

    ReplyDelete